Friday, October 25, 2013

Comdey Salad with Buddah #7 Rocky LaPorte

It's a special Independence Day Comedy Salad interview with one of my favorite comics, Rocky LaPorte. I met Rocky a few years ago and did a guest set in front of him. I was an instant fan of his standup. He is one of my favorites to watch and is a genuinely nice guy. You may have seen Rocky on "The Tonight Show w/Jay Leno", "Cheers", "Comic Strip Live" or Comedy Central. Rocky also has a CBS pilot titled "The Rocky LaPorte Show". I asked Rocky six questions and asked him to fire one question back to me. Here is how it unfolded...



BUDDAH: How many years have you been a standup comedian and what jobs did you hold prior to performing standup?



ROCKY: I've been doing standup for 25 years, and before that I drove a tractor trailer and worked on the docks.



BUDDAH: Who has influenced you the most during your standup caeer?



ROCKY: I would say womens breasts have influenced me the most over the years.



BUDDAH: Some newer comics have trouble writing material. What in your opinion is a good writing exercise for any comedian to use to get their creative juices flowing?



ROCKY: I find that right after a show is a very highly creative time for me to write because your brain is still in that mode. But I also get together with some comic buddies of mine and write also, and I love that.



BUDDAH: If you could bring back one deceased comedian to perform one final show who would it be?



ROCKY: I would say Rodney Dangerfield or Lenny Bruce.



BUDDAH: If you could go back in time where would you go and who would you be?



ROCKY: I'd like to be Abe Lincoln...great man and for all he did for our country. And I think it would be fun to be Elvis for about a month.



BUDDAH: Who is your favorite cartoon character and why?



ROCKY: I used to love Yogi Bear when I was a kid and still do. When the movie came out a few years ago I was probably the only adult in there by myself, but I was laughing my ass off. He's just funny. I think it's funny that he walks around naked but wears a tie and a hat everywhere.



And now it's time for Rocky to interview Buddah.



ROCKY: Buddah, how long have you been doing comedy and what do you love and hate about it?



BUDDAH: This question has made me realize that in two weeks from now I will have been doing standup comedy for six full years (of which 9 months I have actually been funny). Time does fly! I truly love capturing an audiences attention and seeing people laugh at my goofy antics. Applause breaks are a confidence builder and I feel it helps build momentum as I go. One of my favorite things aside from stage performances are the car rides to gigs while getting to know other comics that you might not have anything else in common with. I also dig writing sessions with my comedy buddies. What do I hate about the business? Jealousy (we comics are all on the same team) and long car rides to a show, especially alone.

Rocky owns the stage.

Well, Rocky and I have one more thing in common than I thought. We have both been influenced by ladies breasts. After celebrating the 4th of July you can catch Rocky live and in person near his home turf, at the Improv (inside the Woodfield mall) in Schaumburg,IL, July 5-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment