Friday, October 25, 2013

Comedy Salad with Buddah #20 Ken Sevara

'Comedy Salad with Buddah' is really starting to take off. This is a new blog about comedians and their world of standup comedy. Today I interviewed long standing Chicago comic, Ken Sevara who I recently worked with at Mason City Limits comedy club. Ken landed the gig as he called it, using the "comedian exchange program" while MCL club owner/comedian Chris Speyrer headed to work a room Ken runs in Rockford. Ken in turn headlined Chris' club. So there you have it. Networking minds making standup comedy continue to do it's thing, make people laugh. You may have seen Ken on FOX television, Comedy Central and ESPN or heard him on The Bob and Tom Show. He is available for corporate shows and has shared the stage with Jerry Seinfeld, Billl Murray, Jay Leno and George Carlin. I tossed six questions to Ken and asked him to send me one back. Here are the results...



BUDDAH: Who has inspired you standup comedy career more than anyone else?



KEN: Comedian Tom Dreesen taught me the business on and off stage. He was an enormous influence.



BUDDAH: Knowing your act, I have to ask, how much do you miss the loveable Harray Caray?



KEN: I miss Harry because he was an irreplaceable personality in an era of "cookie cutter" broadcasters.



BUDDAH: What else are you passionate about besides standup comedy?



KEN: Family, friends, radio, politics, the stock market, baseball, hockey, music and history.



BUDDAH: Would you rather visit the president at the White House or attend a baseball game and why?



KEN: A baseball game, because it sucks less money out of my wallet.



BUDDAH: If you could time travel where would you go and who would you like to meet?



KEN: I would love to meet Julius Caesar during the height of the Roman Empire.



BUDDAH: I think it's no secret that some of the greatest food in the world is in your hometown of Chicago. So, where is your favorite eating establishment in the Chicago area and what dish do you prefer to order for a meal?



KEN: Due's Pizza on Ontario Street in Chicago. Their deep dish pizza is the best I have ever had!!



This is the point of the interview where Ken was supposed to send me one question back but he forgot. And that's okay. I will serve one up on his behalf.



KEN: Buddah, what is one thing that most people don't know about you?



BUDDAH: When I was a young boy I was a Chicago Cubs fan (mom and dad forced it on me) until about the age of 8. That's when I discovered the St. Louis Cardinals and players like Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Joe Torre, Kenny Reitz, Curt Flood and Ted Simmons. I have been a Cards fan ever since. I also root for the Red Sox.


Due's Pizza, huh? It looks like Buddah has a new pizza adventure the next time I visit the windy city. You can catch Ken Sevara as he has is own radio show, "Fly By Night" on AM 560 every Saturday evening at midnight (on line 560wind.com). And as always, Be on the lookout for Ken in comedy clubs accross the Chicago area and the greater midwest.
Regular Suspender Ken

Animated Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment