Friday, October 25, 2013

Comedy Salad with Buddah #9 Pat Kilbane


Bizzaro Kramer, indeed.
I hope you have enjoyed Comedy Salad thus far. This time around I was able to interview a very down to earth Pat Kilbane. You may recognize Pat from his days on "Mad TV", "Seinfeld" Bizzaro Jerry episode as Bizzaro Kramer and he has had a guest appearance on "Spin City" too. He also can be seen in the movies "Semi-Pro", "Meet Dave" and "Eurotrip"But lets not forget what an outstanding standup comic he is. And before I forget, Pat Kilbane has launched "Dorks of Yore" a channel he has recently created with his brilliant new bride, Melissa McQueen. Pat says, "Dorks of Yore mixes science fiction, fantasy and comedy for the over-thirty introvert". I managed to come up with six questions for Pat to ponder with one question back to me from him and here are the results...

BUDDAH: How often are you able to perform standup comedy at this time?

PAT: I'll probably do 8-10 weeks over the course of the coming year. I love the feeling of performing and it's critical to performing to calibrate your comedic intrument periodically with a live audience.

BUDDAH: What was your favorite role in television/movies and do you have any upcoming projects/roles?

PAT: I don't really have a favorite role. Mad TV was my best overall experience in TV/movies. There were so many talented people on the show (including writers and art department) and having a regular TV gig 20 minutes from your house is a Hollywood dream.

BUDDAH: What made you want to be a standup comedian?

PAT: I think it's probably the same for most of us...it's some primal inner feeling that you have something to say and a compulsion to say it. Some people, when they watch a comedy show, think "Thank God I'm not the one up there on stage." Others think "I want to be the one up there leading the circus."

BUDDAH: Who has been your biggest influence in your standup comedy career?

PAT: Jim Carrey. He was breaking out into bonafide movie stardom just as I was making my move from Dayton to LA. I felt like I saw something of myself in him.

BUDDAH: Who is your favorite super hero and why?

PAT: The Punisher. Skill and dedication are things I admire, and he is a mortal human being with both. No superpowers, no fictional gadgets, just training, conviction and grit.

BUDDAH: We are going to a bar tonight and I am buying. What drink do you want to have tonight?

PAT: Tonight? A "delirium tremens." What  a beer! A one pint DT will loosen me right up.

And now Pat is shooting one question back to Buddah. What will it be...What's the deepest piece of wisdom that you've gleaned from picking the brains of comics?

BUDDAH: Wow. I probably have at least three answers for this one. I try to take at least one thing away from conversations, advice and tips from headliners such as Pat, whether it's about the business side of comedy, stage tips, writing exercises or just networking. But I would say mostly it is has been throwing all of that into the mix of allowing myself time to develop a 30 minute set to be the feature act which was my goal from the beginning of this comedy ride. Many headlining comics have gone through the same things I have and have gained tremendous success from being focused on the task. I haven't always had that focus. It can't be done in a year for most comedians. In the beginning, there is a lot of trial and error with performing new material and dedication to traveling 80-100 miles just to do a 5 minute open mic set. 


Thanks to Pat for his time and candid answers. Dorks of Yore has a Facebook page which you can "like". Pat has a limited comedy club schedule right now so please take advantage of seeing him live if he travels to your area.

Pat, as I know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment