Friday, October 25, 2013

Comedy Salad with Buddah #19 Chris Speyrer

Buddah is hitting the road for an out of state gig this weekend so here is a mid-week Comedy Salad interview. The first thing I have to say is many of the previous 18 interviews would not be possible if it were not for meeting them through this week's guest. It's the one and only, Chris Speyrer! Chris is the owner/operator of one of the best kept secrets in the Illinois comedy scene, Mason City Limits comedy club. This club is where I have earned most of my standup comedy chops. I am not really interviewing just a club owner. Chris has been a standup comedian for 20 plus years and he knows just about everybody in the biz. Here is a recent quote from comedian Todd Yohn to me, "Chris Speyrer is one of most under rated comics in the business". I (Buddah) can say that he helps local comics out when and where he can, whether it's guest spots and/or feature sets at his club or even just giving an up and coming comic a line for a joke. Chris knows just how much time local comics are worthy of when he calls them in from the bullpen, which is why the local talent has had some good success on his stage. Headlining comics such as Drew Hastings, Emo Phillips, Bob Zany, Alex Reymundo, Nikki Glaser, Nick Griffin, Costaki Economopolous, Mike Armstrong, Donnie Baker and many others have worked his club multiple times since it's opening in 2006. The club has even had spirits from the past drop in for a show as evidenced on film by this comedian's better half. I rustled up six questions for Chris, a native of Dayton, Ohio and had him toss (like a salad, get it?) one back to me and here is what we have waiting for you...



BUDDAH: Being a club owner, I know you get a lot of requests for stage time. What are you looking for in a comic when booking feature acts?



CHRIS: For out of town comics, it's usually a headliner bringing somebody with them. It's important that the feature act is an appropriate set up for the headliner and of couse they travel together, which helps them budget wise. Locally, I like to throw the comics a bone who I know are working hard to get better. I'll use two locals to split the feature time when it helps to get the comics that deserve it, more stage time.



BUDDAH: What did George Carlin say to you when you met him that one night many years ago in Lexington, KY?



CHRIS: He asked us questions, where we were from, how our show went. Didn't speak long, but was nice enough to meet me and the other comic I was with (Ray Thomas), who I was performing with next door at Comedy on Broadway, before he excused himself to get ready for his 2nd show.



BUDDAH: Your club is hosting an all weekend event Friday-Sunday called "Mason City Limits Comedy Palooza". This three day event will consist of five comedians performing each day. So, who are the 15 comics who have been selected to perform at this epic event?



CHRIS: (I would prefer to limit this to five all time favorite comics so I don't have to exclude/offend any of my current comics.) All time favorite show:

Steven Wright

Steve Martin

Sam Kinison

George Carlin

Richard Pryor



BUDDAH: If you were not a standup comedian and didn't operate a comedy club what would be your dream career?



CHRIS: I would like to do color commentary for the Cincinnati Reds broadcast next to Marty Brennaman or an NFL draft analysis ala Mel Kiper with a bit less hair.



BUDDAH: You just traded your comedy club (damn you!) for a radio station. What are the first three song you will play on the airwaves?



CHRIS: ABE FM out of Springfield had a 'guest DJ' thing for a while and you got to play five songs. I was fortunate enough to do it twice, don't remember all the songs but these were some of the songs I played:



Open My Eyes - The Nazz

Tempted - Squeeze

Boom, Boom, Boom - (cover version) by Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Two of Us - The Beatles

Cold Hard Bitch - Jet

Up To Me - Jethro Tull

Don't Change - INXS

Hey Bulldog - The Beatles



BUDDAH: Baseball time! being from Ohio it is no big secret that you are a Cincinnati Reds fan. So what is your all time Reds team (C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, 3 OF's, DH and one starting pitcher to take the mound)?



CHRIS: The Big Red Machine pretty much covers it, Tony Perez 1B; Joe Morgan 2B; perhaps Larkin over Concepcion at SS, Frank Robinson at 3B. Outfield of Griffey Sr. RF, Eric Davis CF, Pete Rose LF. I'll have Joey Votto DH. Johnny Bench catching and Jose Rijo as my starting pitcher. But if it was up to me there would be no DH since I am a National League guy. Consideration also given to Johnny Vandameer, Tom Seaver, Paul O'Neil, Vada Pinson, George Foster and Ted Kluszewski.



And of course as always, one question to Buddah...While you were growing up, when in life did you realize you were funny?



BUDDAH: The first person to ever call me a comedian when I wasn't one was my Mom (R.I.P.) at age 11 or 12. She said, "you always make me laugh" (except when I was skipping school). I guess I always tried to make my friends laugh when I was growing up, but was mostly an inverted (and perverted) child.



Well, I thought for sure Chris Sabo was going to be penciled in at 3B on the all Speyrer team. Chris Speyrer and Mason City Limits are back in full swing after a much deserved summer break this weekend with the return of Donnie Baker. Call the club at (217) 482-5233 to make reservations for this and future shows. The website is mclimits.com. Josh Alton headlines the following week w/Buddah as his feature act! And of course, Chris will on stage too. Look for the return of the highly popular Nick Griffin and Emo Phillips among other great talents in the coming weeks ahead. You can also check out the new renovations at the club complete with a new bar area at the front entrance of the club. Tell the straight guy door man with the queer eye that Buddah sent you.
Chris Speyrer

Where all the funny happens.

Cartoon Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment